Tuesday, January 18, 2011

My reflection on Evaluation for Best Practice

After seeing how effective Katie’s reflection was, I too am going to take some time to reflect on the evaluation course as a whole – This may seem a little late, but as the say ‘better late than never’.

Demonstrates an understanding of evaluation (theoretical and practical) in their context and the wider educational sector.

The only prior knowledge of evaluation I had before starting this course was what I did in my work place, evaluating students throughout the learning process and evaluating units of work on completion. My biggest learning curve during this course was participating in writing an evaluation plan and report, working with a partner made this task so much easier to get my head around. Being introduced to new terminology was tricky, ‘triangulation’ and ‘trickle down method’ were terms I was not familiar with. Now feel I have gained this newly acquired knowledge that not only I can benefit from but also my workplace. I have gained a deeper understanding of the eLearning guidelines, how to successfully create a survey and analyse data and share this knowledge with work colleagues and the ICT team within my school. Advising them of alternative ways of engaging staff in professional development sessions, taking lessons in classes to support teachers and overall adopting new ways of meeting staff’s needs, in order for them to provide for their students the best ways possible. My understanding of evaluation in online learning is that it is a tool in which we can measure success or effectiveness, of an application or learning and that it goes hand in hand with the learning process.

Produces evidence of their learning and reflections about evaluation - including eLearning guidelines and quality.

When I started this course, I was a little unsure of what I would learn and how I would relate it to my work. Now I feel like the new spokeswomen of ‘Evaluation for best practise’, sharing my newly acquired knowledge with colleagues and all its benefits. After completing my final report, the results stood for themselves, this made approaching evaluation with staff easy, it made sense to them, highlighted positives and negatives and provided suggestions on how it improve current practises, this made the report something of value. The whole process of this report took time and effort. I feel the many hours of draft writing and bits of paper were all part in parcel of this learning process. Learning to evaluate successfully is deciding on key questions (what do you want to achieve), how will you get the information you need and what is the best way of getting it.


Reports and reflects on the progress of the evaluation project and discusses and critiques the findings of their evaluation project.
I feel I kept everyone up to date through the planning and implementation my evaluation, commentary and discussion around my findings in my blog posts: Update of project, changes to plan, Update on Questions, A few words make a difference, Creating our survey, Last few changes to plan, Planning evaluation report, As one venture comes to an end another begins.

Critiques at least two other evaluation projects of participants in the course.
I provided comments and feedback on people’s blogs throughout the course. I have also provided feedback on Alex’s and Louise’s reports via their blog pages.

1 comment:

  1. Lisa it is excellent to see your reflection about the criteria for the blog assessment. You have definitely shifted your knowledge about evaluation, and your blog posts demonstrate how you have progressed through the topics. It has been interesting for me to see the rose bloom. :)

    I find it really satisfying to read "Now I feel like the new spokeswomen of ‘Evaluation for best practise’, sharing my newly acquired knowledge with colleagues and all its benefits." Spread the word and filtrate the masses. :) Go well, and I hope you have much success with the implementation of some of the findings from the needs assessment... and don't forget to evaluate as you develop.

    Do you think it will be a breeze next time?

    ReplyDelete